Know your rights - the driving test



I am aged 19 and I have a learner permit for a category A motorcycle. I hope to do my motorcycle driving test in the next few months. While I know there have been changes to driving licences, will I still be able to do the category A driving test?


No, you will not be able to sit the driving test for a category A motorcycle as the new minimum age to hold a category A driving licence since 19 January 2013 is 24.

There is now a new A2 motorcycle category for those aged 18 and over, so you can sit the driving test for a category A2 driving licence instead. The type of motorcycle which you must bring to bring to a category A2 test must be a minimum of 395cc cylinder capacity and engine power between 25kW and 35kW.

If you wish, you can present your category A learner permit at the test. However, as your pre-January 2013 category A learner permit restricts you to riding a motorcycle of 25kW, you will have to bring a motorcycle of exactly 25kW to the test. If you pass your driving test, you will be issued with a category A2 certificate of competency.

Alternatively, you can apply for a new category A2 learner permit, which allows you to ride a motorcycle of up to 35kW. You can then bring a motorcycle of between 25kW and 35kW to the driving test. However, a new learner permit costs €35.

Once you have passed the test and have a category A2 certificate of competency you can apply to your local Motor Taxation Office for a category A2 driving licence.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below. Know Your Rights has been compiled by Kilkenny Citizens Information Centre which provides a free and confidential service to the public. Tel: 0761 07 7910. Address: 4 The Parade, Kilkenny and at Callan, Graiguenamanagh and Mooncoin. Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000.