Battling ‘Comer set for Kieran’s clash

Castlecomer CS1-13

Castlecomer CS1-13

St Peter’s College0-13

Castlecomer Community School are one of three Kilkenny teams to have qualified for the semi-final of the Leinster colleges senior hurling championship after they edged a win in a tough encounter against St Peter’s College of Wexford.

In what was a tightly contested match from start to finish, Oliver Feehan’s early second half goal was the defining score of the match.

The game opened slowly, both sides struggling to find momentum in what was their first championship clash of the year.

It was a pointed free from St Peter’s Aaron O’Connor that got the scoring underway, following a foul on Liam Euston. Shane Kinsella missed a difficult opening free for ’Comer and after that O’Connor struck again to push the Wexford side two points ahead.

Forced a save

Eoin Brennan shot over the winners first score with a sweet strike from the centre-back position. Podge Delaney forced a save from Peter’s ’keeper, Ollie Flanagan, the Clogh man bursting through the tightly knit home defence. Flanagan shot over another score a minute later after winning a breaking ball before Kinsella added his first score from a free. He added another after a foul on Dean Shortall.

Right half forward Donal Kelly pointed a fine score in reply. Castlecomer fell out of the game with 10 minutes of the half remaining, sloppiness allowing Aaron O’Connor to shoot over four minors before the break. Only a single score from a placed ball meant that ’Comer were glad to hear the whistle at the rest.

The wind was strong in Peter’s favour in the opening half hour, and Flannigan’s long puck-outs were instrumental in creating the openings for them to build up a lead. Their 0-7 to 0-5 advantage over the Kilkenny school was a deserved lead at the break.

Castlecomer were on fire from the start of the second half. Their attitude was unquestionable as they restarted full of intent. Kinsella got ’Comer back into the groove when he converted a free.

After a period of sustained pressure on the Peter’s goal, ’Comer finally broke through. Darragh Brennan’s shot was originally saved, but the ensuing huddle in the square allowed Ollie Feehan to finish the ball with a well-placed kick. Some nice link-up play allowed Shane Kinsella and Eoin Brenna to both fire over points. O’Connor was the sole source of Peter’s scores from frees in the opening 20 minutes of the half.

Strong position

A massive point by wing back Padraig Fogarty wasn’t enough to keep ’Peters afloat, however. Kinsella added further scores to keep the Cats in a strong position. With five minutes of time added on, ’Comer were never out of the woods and there was always a danger that they could relinquish their advantage. They held on firmly to book their place in the semi-final.

The Community School’s sporadic performance will no doubt have to be improved upon when they face mighty St Kieran’s College in two weeks’ time, but it is an intriguing clash.

Scorers: Castlecomer CS - Shane Kinsella (0-7, 0-6 frees); Ollie Feehan (1-0); Eoin Brennan (0-3); Podge Delaney (0-2); Shane Rice (0-1). St Peter’s College - Aaron O’Connor (0-11, frees); Donal Kelly, Padraig Fogarty (0-1 each).

Castlecomer CS - Jason Shore, Nicholas Feehan, Paddy Brennan, Andrew Dowd, Ciaran Wallace, Eoin Brennan, Dean Shortall, Conor Delaney, Philly Cass, Podge Delaney, Darragh Brennan, Oliver Feehan, Shane Kinsella, Shane Rice, Donal Shore.

St Peter’s College - Ollie O’Leary, Seamus Rossiter, Simon Dunne, Sean O Fionnalain, M. Joyce, Aaron Murtagh, Padraig Foley, Martin Seoige, Conor Devlin, Joseph McSweeney, Padraig Wafer, Donal Kelly, Liam Dunne, Liam Euston, Aaron O Connor. Sub - J. Firman.