And now ’Vat eye Leinster title

Mullinavat 2-19 Coill Dubh 0-8

Mullinavat 2-19 Coill Dubh 0-8

Mullinavat scored an easier than expected victory over Kildare senior champions, Coill Dubh in a one-sided Leinster club intermediate hurling championship clash at St Conleth’s Park, Newbridge on Sunday.

The Kilkenny champions took control from the start and were rarely troubled. The forward line was brilliantly led by captain, Willie O’Dwyer, whose work rate was exemplary.

Mullinavat led after 50 seconds when county minor, John Walsh pointed after a good pass from O’Dwyer. Willie then set up Ian Duggan for another point in the second minute.

Mullinavat were totally dominant at this stage and Jamie Fennelly finished to the net in the fifth minute after great work by Liam Fennelly and Ger Malone.

The winners could afford the luxury of shooting five wides by the 10th minute before they got on the scoresheet again when Willie O’Dwyer found Ian Duggan with a pass for another point. John Walsh then set off on a searing run and Coill Dubh ’keeper, Damien Byrne did well to parry his shot but Jamie Fennelly was alert and finished the ball to the net for his second goal.

Robbie Malone got on the scoresheet with a fine point. Coill Dubh were finding it hard to get any traction, but Mark Delaney got them off the mark when he pointed a free in the 16th minute.

The visitors replied with points from Ger Malone and John Walsh. Mark Delaney pointed another free and Jonathan Byrne finished off a good Coill Dubh movement with their third point in the 25th minute.

Mullinavat were in control with Pauric Gahan and Thomas Aylward marshalling the defence. Pauric found Jamie Fennelly with a well placed delivery and Jamie pointed.

Joe Fennelly found Willie O’Dwyer with a great clearance and Willie pointed. Damien Behan and Ger Malone exchanged points just before the break, at which stage they led by 2-9 to 0-4.

Coill Dubh began the second half in determined fashion. They opened with points from Jonathan and Thomas Byne.

Mullinavat ’keeper, James Culleton had to be alert to keep out a whistling shot as Coill Dubh upped their game. Great work from Willie O’Dwyer set up Ger Malone for another point in the 35th minute.

From the puck-out Coill Dubh went on the attack and were rewarded with a 20 metre free. Mark Delaney’s low shot squeezed past the ’Vat defence. The home side suddenly looked threatening.

The winners sensed the danger and took control again. Ian Duggan and Dinny Butler took a grip on midfield and Mullinavat reeled off nine points before Coill Dubh added to their tally.

Paddy Raftice, who was a half time replacement for Jamie Fennelly, started the sequence. Willie O’Dwyer added a brace. Ian Duggan, Paddy Raftice, Simon Aylward (65) shot fine efforts before Joe Gahan and John Walsh (free) saw the ’Vat home.

The Noresiders are in the Leinster final on Sunday against Kiltale (Meath) in Navan. They had to play without influential midfielder, Mark Mansfield who has a fractured bone in his hand.

SCORERS: Mullinavat - Jamie Fennelly (2-1); Willie O’Dwyer (0-3); Ian Duggan (0-3); Ger Malone (0-3); John Walsh (0-3, one free); Joe Gahan, Paddy Raftice (0-2 each); Robbie Malone (0-1); Simon Aylward (0-1, 65). Coill Dubh - Mark Delaney (1-2, frees); Jonathan Byrne (0-4); Thomas Byrne, Damien Behan (0-1 each).

Mullinavat - James Culleton, Joe Fennelly, Thomas Aylward, Seamus Farrell, Robert Malone, Pauric Gahan, Simon Aylward, Dinny Butler, Ian Duggan, Joe Gahan, Ger Malone, Liam Fennelly, Jamie Fennelly, Willie O’Dwyer (capt), John Walsh. Subs - Paddy Raftice, Brian Phelan, Darren Kenneally, Pat Mulhearn, Adam Mansfield.

Coill Dubh - Damien Byrne, Conor Gordon, Mark Grace (capt), Dean O’ Regan, Ross Carew, Cian Farrell, Antóin Carew, Mark Delaney, Éanna O’Neill, Ruairí Hayden, Thomas Byrne, Damien Behan, Adrian McAndrew, Jonathan Byrne, Ryan Casey. Subs - Chris Byrne, Adrian O’ Sullivan, Luke O’Reilly, Jamie Kenna, Jack Kenny.

Referee - Patrick Murphy.