08 Aug 2022

FAI Cup: Drogheda dash Evergreen's hopes

Evergreen 0, Drogheda United 4


Conor English (Evergreen) knocks the ball past Sean Russell (Drogheda) during Sunday's FAI Cup game

Evergreen may have had hopes of causing an FAI Cup upset, but they were brought back to earth as Drogheda United made sure of their place in round two.

The Airtricity League Premier Division outfit delivered a late charge which saw them stifle the city side and leave the Kells Road with a solid win.

Drogheda were quick to take control of the game, taking the lead when Chris Mulhall slipped the ball home from close range after eight minutes.

Evergreen were rocked by that goal, but almost made the perfect reply before the half hour. Conor English gave Drogheda a fright with a beautiful, dipping shot which looped over goalkeeper Stephen McGuinness, but the ball crashed off the far post and stayed out.

Drogheda, who had former Evergreen player Davy Mulcahy as captain, stepped up the pace to close the game out in the final quarter. Sub Ryan Masterson made it 2-0 with a 71st minute lob before Mulhall bagged his second when he seized on a rebound after Johnston beat a wicked Masterson strike away.

Pete Mahon’s side finished with a flourish and made sure of their place in the second round when sub Mark Doyle powerfully headed home from an Adam Wixted corner four minutes from time.

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.

Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.