A popular Kilkenny city centre take away was closed down by the HSE, last month, because of a “grave and immediate danger to public health” a report from the Food Safety Authority has said today.
The Blue Door take away, on John Street, was issued with the closure order on November 23, by an authorised officer of the Health Service Executive under the Food Safety Authority of Ireland Act, 1998, reported by the Kilkenny People at the time.
Today (Monday) a full report details why the closure order was issued. It says: "The overall condition of the premises and manner of operation poses a serious risk of food contamination and presented a grave and immediate danger to public health."
The internal and external surfaces of refrigerators and freezers showed evidence of rust, mould and dirt.
Foods were stored in broken containers and cardboard boxes which were covered in grease and dirt.
Shelving and food storage drawers in the refrigerators were broken.
Cleaning & Sanitation
There was a build up of engrained dirt and food debris on surfaces including floors, walls, ceilings, doors, equipment and other hand contact surfaces.
There were layers of grease coating the walls and equipment in the cooking area.
Mops and mop buckets were stored outside which were subject to sources of contamination.
There were no cleaning chemicals on site to effectively clean and disinfect the food contact equipment and surfaces within the food premises.
Foods were stored in dirty containers and on the floor surface with accumulations of old food debris and dirt present.
The overall condition of the premises and manner of operation poses a serious risk of food contamination and presented a grave and immediate danger to public health.
Pest Control Procedures
The premises in its current structural condition is not pest proof and would allow rodents entry into the food areas.
“The entire food premises was in a filthy condition with a large accumulation of food debris, grease and engrained dirt evident underneath and behind cooking equipment, refrigeration equipment and wall and floor surfaces. The condition of the premises would provide ideal harbourage and a readily available food source for rodents.”
The report goes on to say a Food Safety Management System based on the principles of HACCP was not been put in place, implemented or maintained in the food business. Monitoring checks of foodstuffs at Critical Control Points were not being carried out
“There was no system in place for traceability of foods or stock rotation to confirm safety and durability of open and prepared foodstuffs. Food safety is not being managed within this food business resulting in an unacceptable risk public health. “
The take away will not reopen until there is a written direction by the Health Service Executive; or a court order.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.