Shane Walsh (Rose of Tralee escort 2019) and Clodagh Cassin (Kilkenny Rose 2019). PICTURE: Vicky Comerford
The iconic Rose of Tralee International Festival emerged from a two-year hiatus over the weekend with a real flourish, as inspiring plans were announced for an exciting new era.
Now, the official search for the Kilkenny Rose and eventually the Rose of Tralee has begun.
Anthony O’Gara, the Executive Chair of the Festival, revealed an exciting plan for the festival to become more accessible at community level with a vision to support voluntary fundraising efforts.
Additionally, the relaxed entry requirements were reinforced, making it easier to become a Rose of Tralee, whilst supporting the all-inclusive and diverse nature of the Festival.
Lyn Moloney, Kilkenny Rose Co Ordinator said: “We at the Kilkenny Rose Centre are inviting all interested girls between 18 and 29 years old to reach out and put themselves forward to enter this year’s Kilkenny Rose selection. As a new initiative we inviting GAA, camogie clubs, societies and local communities to partner with the Kilkenny Rose Centre and participate in local events and in return the Kilkenny Rose Centre will make a generous contribution to the local community or organisation involved.
“We are delighted to have MacDonagh Junction as lead sponsor of the Kilkenny Rose again this year along with Colin Ahearn GM, Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel where our Kilkenny Rose 2022 will take place on April 23rd.”
For further details please contact the Kilkenny Rose Co Ordinator of Lyn Moloney on 083 4631611 or Kilkennyroseoftralee on all social media platforms.
The 2022 Rose of Tralee International Festival will take place from August 19th – August 23rd. The Festival team are presently planning a host of amazing events that traditionally take place in Tralee town during this period, including lights, parades, family entertainment, street performance and much more.
All Festival details will be revealed in the near future on www.theroseoftralee.ie.
Anthony O’Gara said: “The Rose of Tralee International Festival is strongly associated with great Irish women, Irish people and local communities globally. I am delighted to announce that this legacy will continue, as we reveal our inspiring plans for the future. Celebrating our Irish Culture, and the positive contribution that Irish people make at home and abroad is a real privilege and we are most grateful for the incredible support we have received over the last eight decades. As we look to the future, it is our goal to support the fundraising efforts of local Irish communities and to continue to showcase the incredible contribution of great Irish women globally.”
Applications are now officially open. Visit www.therosetralee.ie for details.
Applicants can include
1) Age: 18 years of age by January 1, 2022, and will not have reached your 30th birthday on or prior to September 1, 2022.
2) Status: Single / married or anyone identifying as female is welcome to enter.
3) Irish descent: Be an Irish citizen or of Irish origin by virtue of one of your ancestors having been born in Ireland. For applicants residing outside the island of Ireland - be living in the region you wish to represent for a minimum of one year and recommend that if selected as the Rose that you will remain resident in this region for the following 12 months.
4) History: Never have previously represented any Centre as a Rose in the Regional Festival or International Rose of Tralee Selection. Be available for Rose Selection events and if selected be available for International Festival events.
5) Entry fee: An entrant sponsorship fee of €300 was required for entrants based in Ireland. This is now reduced to €200. Your local Rose Centre will give you more details.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.