View from the new stand in Nowlan Park
A hurling fan has apologised “to one of the all time greats” after being charged with committing two assaults at Nowlan Park GAA grounds.
Brendan Monaghan, 9 Glendine, Kilcormac, Offaly, did not enter an official plea to the charges in Kilkenny District Court, but after being charged did express his regret to the arresting garda, the court heard.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE CRIME UPDATES AND COURT REPORTS
Mr Monaghan is charged with two counts of assault and one count of being intoxicated in public, at Nowlan Park on November 9, 2025.
Garda Inspector Paul Donohue gave evidence in court of charging Mr Monaghan. In reply to the charges, the Inspector noted that the defendant said “I’m very sorry for what I did.” He said it had been ‘in the heat of the moment,’ going on to apologise to the stewards at the ground and the Ballyhale Shamrocks team.
Mr Monaghan told the Inspector he ‘shouldn’t have done what he did’ and acknowledged it was not a great example to give young GAA fans.
“I want to say sorry to one of the all-time greats TJ Reid and Adrian Mullen,” Mr Monaghan told the Inspector.
Judge Geraldine Carthy asked for victim impact statements to be taken and adjourned the case to a sitting in April.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.